- It's Your Duty: The Declaration of Independence. Is it your civic duty to work towards social justice?
- Empowerment: Why Ordinary People Need to Understand Power - Eric Liu TedTalk (17:19) Three Fundamental Strategies.
The assignments that have activities are in red.
The Declaration of Independence
1. The first button is the Declaration of Independence
with a column for annotations and summary. It should be printed out.
2. Worksheet for analysis to prepare for discussion:
a) What were the shortcomings of the Declaration from words to reality?
b) What groups of people did it affect and how were they affected?
c) What happened to rectify the injustices? What still needs to be done?
d) There are some examples provided but they are not comprehensive.
List of some of the victories to correct injustices and gaps between what the Declaration of Independence states and reality in the United States.
We deserve a multiracial democracy
that works for everyone.
- Opal Tometi
Eric Liu explains why it is important to participate in the process of shaping the world we live in.
Watch the Ted Talk: Why ordinary people need to understand power. (17:19)
1. Look up the vocabulary words.
2. Take notes as you listen to the Ted Talk
3. Discuss the assignment afterwards
Watch the Ted Talk by Eric Liu (17:19)
Why Ordinary People Need to Understand Power
Assignment after the video
Photo credit: Richard Simpson