Discussion or Written Responses:
Read the poem: Severed Hands, (24)
1. How does the physical description in the first stanza help to form an opinion of the student’s character or the way her character might be perceived?
2. In the second stanza, what indication does the student give that she might be suicidal?
3. In the third stanza, what is the teacher’s attitude towards the student and how do you know? What might this reveal about the teacher?
4. The fourth stanza introduces a scientific experiment about touch.
Read the following articles: Touching Empathy under the tab [EMPATHY] and The Experience of Touch: Research Points to a Critical Role under the tab [TOUCH].
Why is this concept of touch important and how is it used in the poem?
5. The last three stanzas refer to some of the information we have discussed regarding suicide, suicide attempts, and survivors. Discuss the last three stanzas with what you now know about suicide attempts and survivors.
6. The two emotional states referred to are shame and guilt. Why do you think the poet chose these words?
Before reading the poem, click on the tab [POLICE]
Read the articles under the section Mental Health:Police Interactions
Please fill out the contact form for information on speaking engagements, or poetry writing workshops,