Performative Activism vs. Substantive Activism
- Students will be able to analyze the lure and value of individual performative activism.
- Students will be able to discuss the grey areas of product support, monetary gifts, and levels of social equity.
- Students will be able to discuss the values and setbacks of performative acts.
- Students will be able to discuss the impact of activism in achieving social equity.
Questions to Consider for you Discussion/Debate:
- Are both types of activism helpful?
- Is one more meaningful than the other?
- Can performative activism become substantive?
- Oftentimes a corporation has unjust hiring practices, but donates money to a cause - to make themselves look supportive. Should the organization accept donations from the corporation? If they do what message are they sending?
- These are just a few of the questions and resources that could be used in discussing this topic... you might discover more as you research and talk about the topics.
- Read the following articles on different forms of activism.
- You might have additional credible sources to help you explore the topic. Refer to the Questions to Consider above and you might formulate even more questions.
- The information will help you to present a solid cohesive argument and will allow you to be open to other people's ideas as well.
- You can either have a classic debate, use Philosophical Chairs (instructions are under the Freedom of Speech Assignment) or you can discuss the topic in a Socratic Seminar.
10 Ways to Make Activism
Al Jazeera Opinion Article
Social Media Activism
just a millennial fad?
wears Kente Cloth
NPR: BLM painted on street
BBC: Do companies really
support the cause?
CBS News: Companies touting BLM
face own workforce scrutiny
Forbes Donation List
Forbes: Not a fad,